Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Love Letter 2.0

At our 10-year and 6 babies mark, I looked back at the letter I wrote you when we were just a year old (http://ei0.blogspot.com/2009/10/excerpt-from-love-letter.html). As I read it, I had a realisation of where all the time in between went to. In the last 9 years, we had spent much of our time battling/tackling pregnancy trials, babies, toddlers and children, BUT I could hardly remember any fights between us. Why didn't we even argue over them?

Even if it is too cliche and under-rated, thank you, and thank God for putting you in my life. Thank you for walking this crazy journey with me the last decade. There is so much unspoken understanding between us that sometimes I don't know what to say to you (insert thinking emoticon). Thank you for enduring my fatigued outbursts at the children when I am worn down by their energy and battles. Thank you for putting up with the frustrations that I indirectly channel at you because of the children. Thank you for always putting me first before anyone else.

Pregnancy may have depleted me of many memories but distinct, specific instances have stayed buried in the depths of my mind. There was that time when we were still dating, how you pulled me up from the road to the kerb to make sure I was safe while we were chatting with someone (I can't remember who for sure); or when we were newly married and a particular mid-of-the-night storm caused a loud crash in the kitchen and you quickly reassured me after checking it out that it was just a xxx (I can't remember what as well). Or how you rushed home after I burst into tears over the phone in the early days of confinement with J. Rushing to the bed where R and I were warded when Xiangfeng mentioned I broke down in the midst of a conversation with the doctor. I don't have a good memory, but some of these, I retain, and they come back to me at times when I go through an article, walk through a space, or reminiscence through some pictures.

And so I write. I write to preserve my thoughts. I write so that I have the opportunity to come across what I documented, in His time. That thermal mug with all that you have said to me before? When I held it in my hands to read them again, I realised it is one of those things that I can hold on to for a long time to get me transported back to that time in our lives. God has been immensely gracious and merciful to bless me with you, and I pray and look forward to journey many more years with you, as in our 'previous' life, as well as our 'next' life.

By the way, did I ever tell you I applied to go for SSEAYP in 2003 but did not make the selection? It was very puzzling to me then, but turns out it was really because He already decided for us to meet in 2006. Blessed Fathers' Day my best friend, my soulmate, my pillar, my encyclopaedia, my map, my checkpoint, my sounding board, my moderator. You are everything that I cannot ask for, and more. I love you beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment